by Maria Koropecky, Wellness Coach
Are you interested in healing a health concern in your life? Would you like to work with a Wellness Coach? If yes, you may also be wondering, “How on earth am I going to find a qualified wellness coach” and “where do I start?”
First, to find a qualified Wellness Coach, do an online search using the keywords “wellness coach” and “your city.” You might also like to add the words, “best” and “near me.”
Also, ask your friends and co-workers for a referral — maybe they know of someone who does a good job.
With today’s technology, you don’t necessarily have to live in the same city or area as your Wellness Coach, but scheduling appointments is much easier when you live in the same time zone.
Another good idea is to keep an eye out for upcoming live wellness-related workshops, talks, and events in your area. Hearing a Wellness Coach speak is a great way to preview their professional style and area of focus and it’s a wonderful chance to meet likeminded people, too!
Come up with a list of at least three names, (my brother told my mother to find three bids on her home renovations and I think that’s good advice when you’re thinking about hiring any professional services).
Once you have your list, take the time to review their websites and then call them to see if you can set up a consultation appointment to meet them — either through online video, by phone, or in person — to see what they’re all about.
As you’re meeting with a prospective Wellness Coach, look to see if they have the following qualities:
- Interpersonal skills: Do they make you feel comfortable? Do they establish a good connection with you? Do you like them enough to spend time with them?
- Communication skills: Are they explaining their work in a way that makes sense? Are they actively listening to what you have to say?
- Professional: Are they presenting themselves in a professional manner? Do they take pride in their appearance?
- Caring Personality: Do they have a friendly, calm, patient, and caring nature?
- Practice Self-Care: Are they walking their talk, practicing what they preach, and taking good care of themselves?
- Empathetic and Compassionate: Can you tell if they have an understanding of what it’s like to be in your shoes?
- Knowledgeable: Are they knowledgeable in their field of practice?
- Self Confidence: Do they know their own value and the value of their coaching services? Are they assertive enough? Are they good at solving problems and making decisions?
- Physical Stamina: Do they have the energy and stamina needed to keep up with the demands of their profession?
- Flexibility: Are they willing to be flexible to accommodate your needs?
- Trustworthy: Do they come across as honest, trustworthy, respectful, and reliable?
- Like their work: Do they enjoy what they do for a living and do they genuinely smile often?
Hopefully, you’ll have a check mark next to all of the above. Feel free to add you’re your own preferences to this list as well. You’ll also want to keep your eye out for any of the following red flags:
- Distracted by drama: Are they focusing on you, the client, or are they busy with something else?
- Closed Communication: Is it hard to reach them by phone or email? Are they dismissive or rude?
- Burnout: Are they showing signs of fatigue, depression, stress, and burn out?
- Frazzled: Are they unkempt? Are they organized? Are they running late?
- Arrogance & Snobbiness: Is their nose in the air? Is their ego in the way?
- Judginess: Do they make you feel bad about yourself by judging your appearance, age, state of health, lifestyle choices, marital status, etc?
- Exorbitant Fees or Bargain Pricing: Are their coaching fees in line with other life coaches and wellness coaches or are they way too low or way too high for the market?
- Gut Instinct: Do you have a bad feeling when you’re talking to them?
If the consultation goes well, go ahead and book your coaching sessions. But if any of these red flags show up, then go with the person you feel will help you the most.
Taking the time to arrange a consultation appointment and meeting a prospective wellness coach on the phone or in person is a great way to see if you click before you make any long-term commitments.
Working with a talented Wellness Coach is definitely worth the investment and I hope you find a great Wellness Coach who ticks all of the boxes!
And, if you’d like to meet me, Maria, for a complimentary consultation appointment to see if you’d like to work with me as a Wellness Coach, I’m currently offering Free Crystal Mapping Sessions. If you’re interested, please call or email me. I’d be happy to meet you online or in person (if you live in Victoria, BC) at your convenience.